Monday, May 21, 2007

Black hole

Where should I start? The last time I wrote in reverse chronological order. It's late and I don't know how long I'll last, so this one will be in random time order.

I watched fireworks with almost the entire population of Hajdúböszömény during the "Children's Day" celebration. What a show! The best I have ever seen. Young and old we stood, faces lifted up and watched in wonder and delight - all of us children. Afterwards the glow in the sky was transferred to our hearts, and everyone lingered a while, beautifully. I thought about the coming day when we, with faces lifted up, will look in wonder and delight at the Light of the World.

I had not heard or spoken a word of English for three days until I arrived here at Lia and Zoli's house late this evening. I have stared back at people like a deer in the headlights trying to understand what they said to me. I keep having to fight the urge to say, "Honestly, I'm not stupid, I just can't hear fast enough."

Sometimes I try to fake it and then the other person will say, "You didn't understand, did you?" Sometimes we both get tired of trying and both of us pretend I understood.

But, everyone seems to find it amusing to watch me murder their language and we have laughed a lot, and, in the end, we usually communicate.

I spent the day at the music school with Bencé and Ádám. They have normal classes in the morning and music in the afternoon. I attended Math, English, History (twice), and music composition. All the students are very, very nice and act pretty much like any other teenager I have met. The teachers were nice too, and I could film during class.

For lunch today I had three pieces of bread and a pepsi. That's down a notch from the piece of bread with a slice of meat in it I ate in Paris. Actually, I very much enjoyed the French lunch, and the three pieces of bread today were zsemle - the best bread on the planet. But, Katy, it makes a better story the other way, no?

I'm pretty sure I have recorded some good interviews. I don't really know, because I can't really understand Hungarian. The parts I understood were good, and the people looked convincing.... I know what you are thinking, "Tim, Tim, Tim, how do you get yourself in these situations?

There is a Hungarian guy I took a film class with. Maybe I can buy him dinner and he will interpret the interviews for me.

Tomorrow there will be an informal concert at Ádám's house with lots of family members. They organized it for my benefit. It should be interesting. I didn't really understand all the plans, but it's possible I might be playing something too, after I film a bit.

Sunday I had church with the Kovacs'. They asked me to choose the songs and lead the singing from the piano. It was great, like old times. Then we sat out under the tree and had the message. Afterwards was the feast. If you have eaten at Erzsebet's house you will be jealous.

Sunday was children's day in Hungary. There was a huge festival with people selling things, and bands playing, a carnival, parachute jumpers. Everybody in town was there. Later we watched the video of Edina and Scott's wedding, and looked at pictures on Susan's website.

I am in Debrecen at Lia and Zoli's house. It was great to see them again. I arrived too late to meet their new son Áron, so I have to wait until tomorrow.

Some of you know I hope to make a second film here, telling the story of an amazing group of young Hungarians who came to faith as the result of a short-term mission, and are currently, or have been in full time service for the Lord. Lia will be the first of these. If you are following this blog currently, and are a praying person, pray that I can accurately capture the impact she has made here in Eastern Hungary. (She speaks better English than I do, so one hurdle is already crossed....)

I have no idea what time it is, surely it must be late. So that's it for now.

tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey anyone who reads this in time (it is Thursday evening here in Hungary) please pray that Tim`s bag will not be stolen. Tim took a bus from Eger to Budapest and left his bigger bag in the bus. So the bag is right now on it`s way back to Eger. Pray that nobody will steal it but that Tim`s friend can pick it up in Eger.