Saturday, March 8, 2008

18 Miles and Girl Scout Cookies

I had to run 18 miles last Saturday. When you run longer than 75 minutes or so your body has used all available food energy and you have to eat something. I was out of the packets of “Goo” that runners eat on long runs so I took some “Thin Mints.” They worked like a charm – I felt great the entire run.

Then I went to the periodontal surgeon on Tuesday who drilled a hole in my jaw and inserted a big metal screw. When I returned to consciousness the nurse told me I couldn’t run for two weeks.

Like that was going to happen.

But she was convincing enough that I didn’t run all week until a 5 miler Friday. Today (Saturday) I was scheduled for 20 miles. What the heck. I loaded up my thin mints and took off.

Yikes.

I ran the first hour realizing that this run was going to get ugly. I ran the second hour with increasingly heavy legs, and the last hour was very, very ugly. I have hurt that bad but I don’t remember when.

I will, however, come hell or high water, be ready for the Boston Marathon.

No comments: