Sunday, June 24, 2007

New Phone

I am writing to tell everyone that I have a new phone. No need to change anything, the number is the same.

I know we like things to stay the same. It makes our lives seem secure, dependable, like we know what to expect. But things change. People change. Society changes, the World changes.

Let’s take Texas weather for example. For the first two years I lived in Texas we had two kinds of days: Pleasant and sunny, and hot and sunny. Starting this spring we entered the rain zone. Before I left for Hungary we were in a weather rhythm that included a weekly flash flood. Since I returned volume is down but frequency is up. Now we have daily thunderstorms. Some days it rains two or three times. Everything is green, I never have to water anything, it’s humid – we could be living in Iowa.

Maybe it’s not so much that the weather changed as that I just know Texas weather better now. As we used to say at faculty meetings: I now have a more sophisticated understanding of Texas. Anyway, it’s the same address but it has been calling up different weather.

I am applying for teaching jobs. The party is over, time to make some money again. I do love to teach, and I can still work on films in my spare time.

Same number, new phone.

No comments: