Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My First Week Of School

The first week of school included:

Tying dozens of little shoes

Tears

Learning and forgetting and relearning and reforgetting 750 names

Random hugs at random moments

Remembering never to ask a question to a class of kindergarteners

Texas flora on my desk (We learned the song, “Deep in the Heart of Texas.” Part of the lyric is “The sage in bloom is like perfume.” They didn’t know what sage is, so I bought a sage bush.

Commuting to school ON MY BIKE!!!! WWWWOOOOOOO HHHHOOOOOOO!

Lots of bright, little, shining eyes hearing a banjo played live for the first time (and also trombone, sitar, Irish drum, Mizmar, and others.)


The sound of children singing – which is perhaps the most beautiful sound on the planet


I couldn’t possibly count the times I thought of my former colleagues this week. I’m still trying to attain the example they set for me. And, many, many times I thought of Tim Huisman.


So there it is, I’m back in school and had a great week.

No comments: