Monday, July 21, 2008

Corn Hole Anyone?

First impressions of Cincinnati.

I now am very well acquainted with our house, having covered every inch of it, including the ceilings with new paint, and re-acquainted with all our possessions, having moved them all many times from box to room to other room to out-of-the-way-so-I-can-paint.

Today I started on the only remaining surfaces by tearing up carpet.

Sometimes I stop moving or painting and leave the house. For example, delivering resumes to people who don’t have job openings. Here’s what I have found.

The founders of West Chester liked cars and roads, but had not been exposed to the concept of sidewalks. There are no sidewalks and few roads have a shoulder. There are a lot of people who live here, therefore a lot of cars. Non automobile travelers (runners and bikers) have to keep their eyes open.

Most of the roads are windy and most of them don’t go anywhere. There are more dead-ends here than a career in the mortgage industry. You can count all the roads in town that go anywhere on your fingers. Google map it and you’ll see.

My first day here I noticed an old, brightly-painted, yellow building. There were various signs on it, labeling it as a drive-through store where you can buy alcohol, snacks, and “Corn Hole Accs.” Right. Corn Hole??? Yesterday I stopped in. It turns out these stores are common out here. People call them a “Brew Thru.” They are, in fact, a drive through convenience store. You drive in and tell the guy what you want (everything from Bud Light to potato chips) and wait in the car while he fetches it.

And Corn Hole? This turns out to be a game. Basically you throw bean bags at a board with a hole in it. Corn Hole Accs (accessories) turn out to be the bean bags.

Brew Thrus and Corn Hole are very popular, sidewalks failed to make the list.

That’s it for tonight.

2 comments:

Cat Power said...

Hey Tim!
How are things? Here it´s all going pretty well. Thesis over, job found etc :)
I was just trying to send you an email with some language questions and all the email adresses I have for you seem to not work... Can you send me your email?
All the best,
David

Mr Fuchtman said...

David! I'm so glad you wrote! I left Dallas in an unorganized way. To make a long story short I lost your email address in the move! My email is tim.fuchtman@gmail.com.

By the way, I had a job interview today and got the job already! So now I am employed again, in Cincinnati.

tim