Friday, August 3, 2007

Pigman hopeful

There are two parts to every race – mental and physical.

I’m training for the Pigman Triathlon. I decided to do the race sort of late and so I’m on a pretty accelerated training schedule. Adding lots of miles every week stresses the body, but necessary to prepare for the race. I have been a little worried I would have injury trouble and have to stop. My calves have been sort of sore the last few days, and I was concerned that they might not be able to hold up for my scheduled 17 mile run.

My 17 miler went like this:

Miles 1-10
Physical – felt fine
Mental - worrying my calves would not last for the entire 17 miles;

Miles 11-13
Physical – hot, completely sweated through, legs like rubber
Mental - worrying that my calves would last and I would have to run the entire 17

Miles 14-15
Physical – everything hurts A LOT
Mental - regretting telling everybody that I was going to run 17 so that I would have to
actually go through with it

Miles 16-17
Physical – ugly, very ugly
Mental – increasingly sunny, so happy to be completing the run

I’m not sure which part got the best work out; mind or body, but I will have a lot of confidence on race day knowing I’m prepared.

No comments: