Sunday, August 12, 2007

Walking in circles?

Today I laced up my racing shoes for the first time in over two years. I run the Pigman in seven days. They say you have to practice everything. I have practiced eating (peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the bike, gel packs on the run), transitioning from swim to bike and bike to run (you might be surprised how hard it is to quickly put socks on wet feet after swimming a mile), drinking from a paper cup while running, running after biking and biking after swimming.

Well, now I have to practice running in my racing shoes. It’s funny how things in life tend to run parallel to each other. The last time I did a triathlon was actually at the same place I’m racing on Sunday: Palo, Iowa. They have two triathlons: a short one in June (the Little Pig) and the long one in August (the Big Pig). That year I ran the Dam to Dam 20K on Saturday and the Little Pig on Sunday.

So, now, within the same week I’ll be back in the classroom and the triathlon course for the first time since I left Iowa. I don’t know if I’m moving forward or wandering in circles but I’m going to give both of them my best shot.

No comments: