Thursday, July 19, 2007

Humming Birds

I can’t believe I haven’t written since Sunday! This week is flying by.

So yesterday while on my morning run I saw a humming bird. At first I thought it was an insect (apparently everything grows big in Texas, except humming birds.) The thing about humming birds, at least for me, is that I can’t stop watching them. I love that hovering thing, and aside from being completely captivated, I imagine how awesome it would be to fly around like that. For me to move anything that fast is impossible and for the bird it’s effortless. What a great lesson in individuality! Do what you were created to do. After all, the humming bird is excellent at sucking nectar out of flowers, but can it grill steak and roasting ears?

Also, what an interesting glimpse at God’s creativity and engineering chops. Here’s a creature that looks like a bird but flies like an insect. And how can it flap so fast so efficiently – an elegant design. They say you can learn about an artist by looking at his/her work. I think the same is true about God. This bird is an engaging combination of whimsy and brilliance, and what does that say about its designer?

No comments: