Sunday, July 22, 2007

Survival

Katy wanted to ride a bike to the library. She thought Susan’s bike would be good, but, in the typical Dad “You can do it” spirit, I suggested mine. “Susan’s is so small, and the tires need air.”

The seat was a little high so I lowered it. Katy said it felt a little too high still, but I thought it was about the right height for best efficiency so I had her try it a little. Oh, and there was also the foot strap to deal with. “It’s ok” I assured her, just remember to take your foot out before you stop. She was pretty hesitant, but I encouraged her that she could do it, and just try it a little to see if that seat height isn’t right.

She went 20 feet, the seat felt too high, she tried to stop, forgot the foot strap, stopped the bike and fell right over in the alley.

As she rode away on Susan’s bike I had a flash-back of the time I was teaching Andy to drive and sent him up a one way street the wrong way. Sometimes I wonder how my kids survived me.

No comments: