Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Rosy glasses

When I bike I am usually in a city, since the nearest non-city space is almost 10 miles away. City biking has its own challenges, like paying enough attention to traffic to avoid getting smacked by a big truck, and dodging pot holes. Also, instead of road kill on the shoulder there are lots of nails, small bits of metal, and other construction material which collect in the gutters.

But lately, as my training for the Pigman has required longer rides, I’ve been out in the country a little bit. The country is always nice, and North Texas is no exception. I love to hear the birds, and insects, and the wind in the trees. The land is gently rolling and is mostly pasture although some of the ground is cultivated. There are lots of trees here, but no forests. Everything that grows looks happy enough, but tough and hard. It shows the years of blazing heat, scarce rainfall, poor soil, and cold winter winds, and yet the harsh environment made it stronger and healthier.

I just got back from my ride this evening and I was going to write about how amazingly red the sunset was. I couldn’t ever remember seeing such a beautiful red, red setting sun. But as I started writing I realized my sunglasses made it look red!

Well, nevertheless it was a beautiful sunset, even if colored rosy by my glasses.

No comments: